I know this is a blog about making money, but it’s better to give than to receive. Personally, I give both time and money to local causes I believe in. It’s difficult almost every time I decide I want to give time to help the homeless or give money to feed the hungry, but almost every time I do decide to give, I find it comes back to me tenfold.
I’m not saying you should go out and give $100 and sit around and wait for $1,000 to come back to you, because it doesn’t work that way. I’m suggesting the time spent clothing the poor will humble you and give you a time to reflect on things more than your day to day struggles.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” -Ann Frank
Give Money and/or Time When You Can
We all are in this together and a small act of kindness like buying the guy behind you coffee won’t just go a long way towards making this a better planet for us all, but I promise it will give you such a sense of satisfaction that is in itself way better than buying yourself any useless hunk of nonsense you think you can’t live without. If you have the means, I encourage you to give money or time whenever you can. You’ll feel better about yourself and receive goodness back tenfold.
Here’s a very small list of causes accepting donations. Click on their website to learn more:
- CRS (Helps poor and provides relief services)
- UNICEF (Children’s rights and children’s relief services)
- Doctors without Borders (Provides medical attention to those facing conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care)
- Susan G Koman (Breast cancer research and treatment)
- 4-H (Youth development in the US)
- Rotary (Local causes)
- Smithsonian (Research, art, culture, and museums)